FILExt Frequently Asked Questions
FILExt maintains a number of FAQs. These documents are designed to answer the most commonly-asked questions that are asked here. Please check the FAQs before asking questions either in the forum or via the contact form. They can be quite helpful.
Common (Most Asked) Questions
- General Information About File Extensions
- How to Research a File Type
- How to Manage File Extensions
- How to Gather Data for FILExt
- Programs (EXE files) Won't Run and/or All Shortcuts are now LNK Files. Why?
- Can't Delete a File. Why not? (Also applies to not being able to rename a file.)
- How do I remove FILExt from my computer and/or How do I get the program CKNOW.COM?
- There is a file named tilde (~) on my desktop that keeps coming back. Why?
- Why is there a file named TFTPxxx trying to run on my computer?
- How do I print from a PRN file?
- How do I open a .DAT file? (Includes information about the file INDEX.DAT.)
- How to look into a file. (Includes looking at resources in EXE, DLL and other files.)
- How do I convert [this] to [that]? (Includes extraction of resources from games and other data files.)
- How do I view a video file? (Includes general information about CODECs.)
- How do I handle an EML file?
Less Common Questions
- Can I Delete Temporary (.TMP) Files?
- How to Manage the AUTOEXEC.NT File
- How to Handle Files With No Extension
- How to Find Information About Specific Filenames
- Fake File Extensions on Web Pages
- Does an Extension Always Point to a Particular Program?
- What are the Microsoft Office MIME Types?
- How to Come Directly to FILExt From Windows XP
- How to Come Directly to FILExt From Windows Vista
Some General Information Questions (Unrelated to File Extensions)
- What is a Directory or Folder?
- The Windows Registry - A Guide to Information
- How to Set a System Restore Point
- How to Run an Older Program in Windows XP
- How to Use an Emulator
- What is the Folder Named: Compressed (zipped) Folder?
- How to Extract Files from Microsoft Cabinets
- How to Get Rid of [Some Spyware, Adware, Browser Toolbar]
- How to Get Rid of Popups