Notes about the PST file extension:
Incorrect file associations could be the result of underlying issues within your PC system. As such it is highly recommended to scan your PC for invalid registry entries
, unused processes and other unfavourable system settings to identify slowdown issues.
The PST file type is primarily associated with 'Outlook' by Microsoft Corporation. This file includes all E-mail folders, addresses or anything else that Outlook 97, 2K or XP collects. It has a 2GB file size limit. When approaching the 2GB limit, if Office SP-1 is not installed, Outlook becomes extremely unstable to the point of not being able to clicking on any message, folder, etc. without locking Outlook. To shrink the file, delete items from their folders and then clear the Deleted Items folder using Tools | Empty Deleted Items Folder. Outlook will compress the folder in the background while the computer is idle so you may not see a size decrease immediately.
Microsoft has a free add-in for backing up PST files. Microsoft also has a tool called Exchange 2000 Tool: PST2GB which will repair a PST file that is too large. USE CAUTION with this tool as it simply truncates the file to a size Outlook can handle and MAIL WILL BE LOST in the process.
You can make the PST file portable (maybe on a USB device) by doing the following. (1) Make certain Outlook is not using the PST file (usually directly after a restart with Outlook not loaded). (2) Copy the PST file to the USB device (or other location you want for the file) and rename the original so Outlook can't find it (be certain to change the extension from PST but save the file as a backup to the copy you made). (3) Start Outlook and when it complains it can't find the PST file and asks where it is point it to the new location for the file (USB device or whereever you wanted it). Outlook should then always look for the file in this location so you can move it from computer to computer this way.
Detailed information for file extension PST:
Hex: 21 42 44 4E , ASCII: !BDN
Program ID: PSTFile , webfile , WEBFile
Other applications associated with file type PST:
- BMail Postbox File
- Lahey Fortran Paste Buffer
- LightWave 3D (Preset) by NewTekLightWave offers modeling, animation, dynamics, volumetric rendering, particle effects and a motion picture quality rendering engine with unlimited render nodes. Related links: Downoadable Presests - Site 1, Downoadable Presests - Site 2
- Mastercam (Post Processor File) by CNC Software, Inc.Mastercam has solutions for milling, turning, wire EDM and design. This file is usually in the .\MILL6 folder. This association is classified as CAD/CAM.
- Medbasin (Parameter File) by National Technical University of Athens, Laboratory of Reclamation Works & Water Resources ManagementMedbasin is a windows-based program used to produce the daily or monthly hydrograph of a river. The main data inputs of the program are the average precipitation and potential evapotranspiration (or pan evaporation) of the basin.
- MIDI Studio (Preset File) by MAGIXPreset for the mixer filters; save file for the user defined edits to the flanger, chorus, eq, daft, cutoff and many other filters.
- Ulead Pattern by Corel Corporation Related links: XnView
You are viewing 7 of 8 entries click this link to expand the remaining entries
- Yamaha (Pianist (Solo Piano) Style) by Yamaha Corporation of AmericaThis file type is used by the Tyros2 and other high-end Yamaha keyboards. This association is classified as Audio. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 4D 54 68 64 , ASCII: MThd
'Identifying characters' used on FILExt.com are
provided by Marco Pontello from his TrID database
Invalid file associations could be the result of underlying issues within your Windows PC. It is highly recommended that you scan your PC for invalid registry entries
, unused processes and other slowdown issues.