Notes about the MAI file extension:
Incorrect file associations could be the result of underlying issues within your PC system. As such it is highly recommended to scan your PC for invalid registry entries, unused processes and other unfavourable system settings to identify slowdown issues.
The MAI file type is primarily associated with 'MS Mail Message'.
Detailed information for file extension MAI:
Primary association: MS Mail Message
Other applications associated with file type MAI:
- Pegasus Mail (Message Directory) by David HarrisThis is a directory extension, not a file extension.
- Sony (Video Thumbnail) by Sony Corporation of AmericaFound on memory sticks along with .MQV movie files. A user submitted these comments:
A video thumbnail file used by the MoviePlayer program on Sony's Clie line of Palm OS PDAs. .MAI files contain a JPEG thumbnail picture along with information on the video file, such as its Title, Duration (in seconds), Date and time, Bit rate (audio and video in kbps), Dimensions (in pixels), File name and Size (in kB). The standard dimensions of the encoded JPEG picture are 80x60 pixels. The .MAI files need to be placed in the \PALM\PROGRAMS\MoviePlayer\100MQV01 folder while the video files in the \MQ_ROOT\100MQV01 folder in order for MoviePlayer to correctly show the video and its information in the movie playlist.
The thumbnail in the .MAI file can be viewed with any picture viewer (e.g., IrfanView). To view/edit the video information you have to use MoviePlayer (and press on the little filmstrip icon on the left of the video). To create an .MAI file (or update the thumbnail picture in it) you have three options:
1. Use Sony's Image Converter (IC 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.1) Windows program to convert videos and the matching .MAI files. In order for this to work, you need to have the folder \PALM\PROGRAMS\MoviePlayer\100MQV01 already existing on the selected media (hard drive, Memory Stick, etc.).
2. Use MoviePlayer on the PDA to create the thumbnail: while the video is playing, the player's menu contains under Thumbnail an Update command that updates the thumbnail picture. To invoke the menu, you have to play the movie and in small view use the Menu button on the silkskin or sidebar; or in full screen view press Ctrl+M to call the menu if your PDA has a keyboard. You can also update by using the Command strike and then U, as the shortcut to the Update command is /U.
3. Create the JPEG thumbnail from the original video file using ffmpeg and use lmame's website to create the .MAI file from the JPEG file. For this, use the following command line for ffmpeg: "ffmpeg.exe -y -i your_video_file -f image2 -ss number_of_the_frame -vframes 1 -s 80x60 -an name_of_jpeg_file", so for example to extract the 3rd frame from "test.avi" and create "test.jpg" use "ffmpeg.exe -y -i test.avi -f image2 -ss 3 -vframes 1 -s 80x60 -an test.jpg". And then use the following website to create the .MAI files: [see associated links]. Related links: Creation of a .MAI File From a .JPEG File
- VAX Mail
Important: Invalid file associations could be the result of underlying issues within your Windows PC. It is highly recommended that you scan your PC for invalid registry entries, unused processes and other slowdown issues.