Notes about the XYZ file extension:
To open this file type, a required software must be installed. Without it you only see a Windows message "The following file cannot be opened
" (Windows 7) or "How do you want to open this file?
" (Windows 10) if you double-click the file. There click on "More apps"
and choose a suitable software to view such files on your PC or from email attachments.
The XYZ file type is primarily associated with 'Graph Coordinates'. A number of CAD programs work with .XYZ files which are comma delimited text files containing just xyz coordinates of points in space. The free program DXF2XYZ converts a DXF file to an XYZ file. Some other 3D scanners also use this format. RapidForm Free Viewer may be able to view them.
Detailed information for file extension XYZ:
Primary association: Graph Coordinates
File classification: Text
Other applications associated with file type XYZ:
- Förderdiagnose (Data File) by Bettinger SoftwareGerman site. o\Open with Filemaker Pro and special FMP-Plug-Ins for full function. This association is classified as Database.
- MDL Molfile (Co-ordinate Animation Format) by MDL Information Systems, Inc. The Mime types used with this association are: chemical/x-xyz.
- RPG Maker (Graphic Format) by Enterbrain, Inc. This association is classified as Graphic. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 58 59 5A 31 , ASCII: XYZ1 Related links: Format
- XMol XYZ The Mime types used with this association are: chemical/x-xyz, chemical/x-pdb.
- XYZZLY Plug-In for RealPlayerAssociated with streaming media. The Mime types used with this association are: application/x-rn-xyzzly. Program ID: RealPlayer.XYZZLY.6
'Identifying characters' used on FILExt.com are
provided by Marco Pontello from his TrID database
To change file associations press Windows Key
and then Apps and Features
> Default apps
> Choose default apps by file type
Invalid file associations could be the result of underlying issues within your Windows PC.